Blessthefall - Hollow Bodies

Posted by Unknown On Thursday, August 8, 2013

Track list:
1. Exodus
2. You Wear A Crown But You're No King
3. Hollow Bodies
4. Déjà Vu
5. Buried In These Walls
6. See You On The Other Side
7. Youngbloods (ft. Jesse Barnett)
8. Standing On Ashes
9. Carry on (ft. Jake Luhr
10. The Sound Of Starting Over
11. Open Water (ft. Lights)


Genre: Post Hardcore
For Fans Of: Escape The Fate, August Burns Red, Stick To Your Guns.

I've been a fan of Blessthefall pretty much since the beginning. They haven’t been a disappointment to me, even though they went through a few sound, and member changes here, and there. Nothing to drastic happened. Now, that being said... out of all of the albums that Blessthefall has released, this might be their best work to date. This shows their maturity as a band, and how much they've learned within each release. I won’t say that this is their heaviest album, because it really isn't their heaviest work. There are a few soft songs here and there, and a few very heavy songs here and there. Other than that, the album is amazing. It's definitely a one of a kind album from these guys. I feel like the next release from Blessthefall will be ten times better than this. I don’t really know how they’re going to amount to this album, but I’m pretty sure that they could if they really tried to. A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “Exodus”, “You Wear A Crown But You’re No King”, “Hollow Bodies”, “Déjà Vu”, ”Youngbloods (ft. Jesse Barnett)”, ”Carry On (Jake Luhrs)”, and ”Open Water (ft. Lights)”. “Exodus” starts this album off heavily, and doesn't take its time to get to the point of the song. This song shows off how the bands matured and grown up a lot since the last album. I want to say that Blessthefall will be the biggest post hardcore band in the genre, but I feel like that’s already happened to the band. Their name is known worldwide, and they have toured overseas (If I’m not mistaking.) Which is a chance that many bands don't get to have. Blessthefall has proved their talents, and grown into what they are today. “Exodus”, is the second longest song, and the last song is the longest. The tracking of this album is the best part, in my opinion. I really like long songs as the first, and last songs, because it shows off the style at first, and then shows some options for the next release that they do. “You Wear A Crown But You’re No King”, I’m pretty sure that this was the band’s first single off of the album to promote it. Honestly, the single did show off the bands new sound a bit, and how they have matured a lot. However, I feel like “Exodus” would have been a better choice as a single if they wanted to show that off, but that’s just my opinion on the subject. “You Wear A Crown But You’re No King”, and “Exodus” are both really heavy (For the band.) So the people who wanted heavier music from b Blessthefall, got their wish. “Hollow Bodies”, is the heavy title track on the album. I’d have to say that the screams on this song, are some that are my favorites out of all of the other songs on the album (So far.) This song definitely does what a title track should! It’s heavy, and all around a good song. The drumming might catch the eye of many people, because it stands out the most. Each song has something different about them that stands out a bit more whether it's the lyrics, the vocals, or the instruments. “Déjà Vu”, is the second single off of the album, and it's the song that shows the most maturity within the band. I don’t think any of the singles that were picked were horrible, they were just singles that I personally wouldn't have picked to hype up this album. Each single did build up hype for the album, but I feel like that hype went down after a few weeks. Now, I know I’m not saying much about “Déjà Vu”, but that’s because I enjoyed it... I just didn't like it to the full extent of it. The song’s not bad, I just I just felt like this could have been different in some places, and mixed just a little bit differently. Either way, this song is pretty good for how it is. However, some changes could have been made before it was finalized. “Youngbloods (ft. Jesse Barnett)”, is my all-time favorite song on the album, and yes, it is the heaviest song on the album. This song features the one and only Jesse Barnett (Stick To Your Guns). This was one vocalist that I never pictured to be on a Blessthefall song. I can’t lie, he does do some pretty great screams on this song. I feel like if the song was a bit longer, it would have done something amazing with this album. The song's only two minutes, making it shortest song on the album (Which sucks.) But hey, this means that maybe the next album will have Jesse? “Carry On (ft. Jake Luhrs)”, yet another guest vocalist that I wasn't expecting to be on a Blessthefall album. I can’t lie, it makes me happy that so far, they've picked out two of my favorite screamers in the scene today. I’d be lying if I said that Jake didn't make this song a bit better, than it would have been without him. I think that Jake tends to push his vocals the most on his features, and then in his own band he takes what he learns from his features, and puts it to test. “Open Water (ft. Lights)”, is the softest, and longest song on the album. If you ask me, this song sounds like something from Bring Me The Horizon. But hey, what do you want from a duet? I honestly did expect a duet between Beu, and Lights sometime in the future... since they got married, and I’m glad it was on this album instead of one of her albums. The band really did help out the duet in order to make it one of the best songs on the album (Before I forget, congratulations to Beu, and Lights for getting married!)
Breakdown:
Cleans: The clean vocals have improved greatly from older releases that were released from Blessthefall. I feel like the next release might have these amazing clean vocals, that have improved greatly from older releases, and that might amount to this album. Who really knows?
Screams: The screams are the biggest improvement, in my opinion. The screamer has always had a nice range... but on this, I feel like he learned some new tricks with his range in order to make it even lower. The screamers highs really impressed me too! When I saw Blessthefall live, I thought they’d be bad... but in reality, they had one of the best sets there when it came to vocals. Which was really nice.
Instruments: The instrument play has improved greatly, as well. The drumming has mixes louder than anything on the album (Or that’s how I hear it). The guitar play is out-standing! It's some of the best guitar work from Blessthefall to date, and the whole release shows maturity from the band. It definitely sets the next release to be their best work, but as of right now, this album is their best work up to date.

Rating: 10/10
Like them on facebook