Of Reverie - Dream Catcher

Posted by Unknown On Monday, May 6, 2013

Track list:
1. The Divided
2. A Dose Of Reality (Ft. Tyler Carter, Michael Bohn)
3. Dreamcatcher
4. Kingdoms
5. Silent Tides
6. Echoes (Ft. Chris Shelly)






Genre: Post Hardcore
For Fans Of: Woe Is Me, Issues, At The Skylines

This is Of Reverie’s first release ever and I will come out and say it, they did a brilliant job in releasing this ep. It has everything a post hardcore band needs and it’s something that you can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it. The first time you listen to this ep is like any other album or any type of music, you have no idea what to expect from the band or what you are about to listen to, but when you listen to the first song on this ep you kind of get a good feeling what you’re going to be listening to. If anything the first song really pulls you into the whole ep because it shows off Of Reveries sound pretty well and you can tell the range of the vocalist, the sound of the guitars, and how hard the drummer hits, it’s all in first song which is something really good, but there are still some surprises on this release which is one reason it’s one of my favorite debut eps from a small band, I’d have to honestly say I’m waiting for another release from this band already, if it’ll amount higher than this ep, which I can’t see but I have faith in this band to do, so we’ll have to wait and see.

“Divided”
First song on this release and the best way to start off their first release, showing everyone their talents in three minutes, honestly, this song is brilliant. The vocals are phenomenal and some of the best I've heard from a small band I became a big fan of this band as soon as the clean vocals came into this song for the reasoning of the vocals having their own style to them, almost everything in this band has something unique about them which really makes this and stand out in their genre.
Breakdown:
Cleans:  Now I’ll be completely honest here the thing that really got me hooked on this band is definitely the clean vocals because of reasoning it sounding a bit more unique and having his own style with his vocals, but in complete honesty everything in this band has its own uniqueness and having something great about them. I can honestly see this band blowing up and getting bigger than they are now I for one surely hope to see this band get bigger in their careers because they deserve it and they did put some work and effort into these songs on this ep.
Screams: The screamers style is a little bit different but highly enjoyable. The screamers style is somewhat unique but that’s mainly because of his voice, but to be completely honest I do enjoy his vocals but I do kind of wish he had more of a heavy feeling towards them, maybe on the next release!
Instruments: The instruments are great on this song near the end of the song the guitars get better and heavier which makes this song end on a seriously heavy good note. One thing about this song I can honestly say I enjoyed was the guitar play for the reasoning of it being a little bit different for a post hardcore band and the fact you can tell their guitar play has some extreme talent with his instrument, the drumming is also good but not as impressive as the guitars in my opinion.

“A Dose Of Reality”
This is only the second song and this song really makes Of Reverie look great. I mean features from both vocalist of Issues? You have to be pretty good to pull that off, and that is just what Of Reverie did. Tyler and Michael both did an amazing job on this song and their vocals both fit the band’s sound really well. This song’s lyrics are the main thing I really enjoy about this song they’re something you can easily relate too and does this ep some serious good. I think once people hear this song they might really want to hear the rest of the ep because they just won’t know what to expect but when they hear it they’ll be pretty amazed.
Breakdown:
Cleans: The clean vocals still have their uniqueness to them which makes this band stand out in the music scene they’re in, but on this song the clean vocals are a little bit more higher than the first song which isn’t a bad thing if you really think about it, just shows how talented their vocalist is.
Screams: The screams still have a decently great sound to them. The screamers voice really makes his vocal style stand out a lot more and does the band some serious good for being original and different and it honestly sounds great.
Instruments: The instrumentals stay with the vocalists flow even Tylers and Michaels vocal flow which impressed me the most. This band is seriously talented and I honestly hope they go far in their careers. I’m sure I’m going to say this more in this review but it’s true.

“Dreamcatcher”
I think this is my favorite song on this whole release because of the lyrics “running your mouth won’t get you far” that’s definitely the part of the song that’s my favorite and definitely the best lyric part in this song and makes it sound a bit hateful in a way, but not fully. I think this is supposed to be the title track of the ep if so, they honestly did what every band does, make the title track the song that everyone loves the most which is nice super nice and did them some serious good!
Breakdown:
Cleans: Again, the clean vocals change up a bit and keeps the unique title with them which this factor has impressed me so much. I give the clean vocalist some serious props for this and I have to say it’s the most enjoyable thing about this band.
Screams: The screams sound a bit deeper and higher at the same time which is something I’ve heard in few other bands as well as this one, but this band does it the best it seems and really makes something brilliant out of it.
Instruments: The instrument play on this song is absolutely phenomenal it amazes me, seriously, this song is probably the best song on this EP when it comes to instruments in my opinion.

“Kingdoms”
Shortest song on the ep, but let’s give this song it’s due it starts off insanely heavy and stays heavy, but this song could be a little longer. I mean who knows what else they could have done with a more time on this song? Maybe make it even heavier than it came out to be? But one thing I do love about this song near the end it gets somewhat heavier and sounds a bit different and let’s just say the end is perfect when it comes to breakdowns and ending a song.
Breakdown:
Cleans: Oh My… Yeah, that’s what you’ll be saying when you hear the clean vocals in this song. I won’t even lie, but the clean vocalist seriously proved he is one talented man with his vocals on this song. There’s just parts in the song that are just jaw dropping to say the least.
Screams: The screams sound deep, that’s about it, but honestly when we’re talking about this screamers style you can say a lot, because the voice is and style are just unique.
Instruments: Now this song has some fairly decent instrument play for the first few minutes… Now when you talk about the ending of this song it’s perfectly heavy and has a whole different feeling to then it did at the start of the song which may have lead me to enjoy this song more. The end is absolutely stunning when it comes to an ending.

“Silent Tides”
Second to last song on this ep and I’ll have to say they went full out on this song to get you excited for the last song! I think this might be the heaviest song on this whole ep and the most hateful as it sounds with the lyrics. The screamer really brings a hateful and angry feeling into the song for the better of the songs meaning. I give him some props for that. Now the clean vocalist adds a relaxed and calm feeling in a way then after his part the screamer comes back with such an aggressive feeling it’s like the clean vocalist is calm and the screamer is aggressive which really makes this song something unique and great to listen over and over again.
Breakdown:
Cleans: The clean vocalist brings this calm and somewhat relaxed feeling into this song after the aggressive feeling the screamer brought in which isn't that bad and does them some good on this song. He doesn't do anything really impressive on this song, sadly but he does some good with his parts and uniqueness.
Screamer: The screamer has this aggressive feeling in his vocals the whole way through his parts which really makes this song good. It fits the lyrics pretty good too. This song has the most plays because of this, this band really knows how to make a song sound different than the rest of the post hardcore scene.
Instruments: The instruments aren't the best in my opinion, but they still get their props for keeping a good flow through the whole song.

“Echoes”
The last song and my favorite and the song that got me into this band. One of my favorite vocalist, Chris Shelley does some guest vocals on this song to make it come alive, not trying to say Of Reverie did bad at all, but I seriously give them some credit for getting Chris on this song to bring it out and make it the best song and the better ending to their debut ep. I honestly have to say I hope this band comes out with a debut album on a big label, they deserve it and I’m proud to call myself a fan of this band.
Breakdown:
Cleans: The cleans sound like they do on almost every song added they sound a bit higher on this song to make it the best ending for a debut ep. Both vocalist went all out on this song to make the listener ready for the next release!
Screamer: The screamer did some good as well, I can honestly tell he put a lot into this song to make it sound good, and with that being said I’m proud of him I honestly hope though in the next release he keeps his unique still and makes it into something new and better.
Instruments: The instruments are pretty heavy on this song for the better though. I hope for the next release the ending is ten time better than this one. I really want to see how they amount to this though.

Rating: 10/10
Like them on facebook