Jarren Benton - My Grandmothers Basement

Posted by Unknown On Friday, June 28, 2013

Track list:
1. Yaya (Skit)
2. Razor Blades & Steak Knives (ft. Hemi)
3. Life In the Jungle
4. Don't Act
5. Big Rube Interlude
6. Dreams
7. The Way It Goes (ft. Planet VI)
8. Cadillacs & Chevys
9.  Heart Attack
10. My Adidas
11. Smells Like (ft. R.A. the Rugged Man & Mic Buddah)
12. Even More No Homo (Skit)
13. Bully (feat. Vinnie Paz)
14. I Deserve It
15. Go Off (ft. Hopsin & SwizZz)
16. We On (My Own D*ck) [feat. Dizzy Wright & Pounds]
17. PBR & Reefer
18. Oj (feat. Elz Jenkins)
19. My Grandmas Basement

Genre: Rap
For Fans Of: Hopsin, Dizzy Wright, Swizz

After releasing two great mixtapes, and making a name for himself, Jarren Benton managed to write a debut album. In it he spits some of his best raps to date! There literally is no limits on this, and he does spit some pretty nasty stuff. Jarren’s two mixtapes were a great start for his career, but this album takes it to a whole new level in his career. Some of the features on this album are Crazy, Hopsin, Swizz, Dizzy Wright, and Hemi! There's more, but those are the ones that stand out pretty much the most. The other few come close to Jarren in skill, but some of them aren’t that great in my opinion. All the features Jarren gets are really impressive and somehow they all manage to stay with his beats, and add twists to his verses. One feature I saw on here was Elz Jenkins, and if you can guess already, he’s on an offensive track. It’s a humour track, oh and not to mention, Jarren hasn’t really changed from his other two mixtapes when it comes to meanings behind his songs. It’s all about having fun, and making people laugh while spitting some nasty raps. Offensive or not, if it’s good and he’ll spit it with no care in the world. A few songs that stand out on this album would be, “Yaya (Skit), “Razor Blades & Steak Knives Ft. Hemi”, ” Life In the Jungle”, “Cadillacs & Chevys”, ”Even More Homo (Skit)”, "Bully Ft. Vinnie Paz”, “Go Off Ft. Hopsin & Swizz”, "We On (My Own D*ck) Ft. Dizzy Wright & Pounds”, “Oj Ft. Elz Jenkins”, and “My Grandmas Basement”. “Yaya (Skit), isn’t really a song, it’s a 6 second intro, and if you can guess it’s Jarren's grandmother hoping you like her grandsons album. You probably will if you’re a fan of Jarren’s older stuff, and a fan of FunkVolumes artists. “Razor Blades & Steak Knives Ft. Hemi” is the first song on the album, and I have to say that for the first song, Jarren went on the offensive side. He even kind of takes a swing at Tyler The Creator with this line, “You faggots stop comparing me to Tyler The Creator I’ve been on this before you was allowed in the theater of an R-rated movie, and your dad was wearing gators and your mom was just a before a whore, before your sister wore makeup, you was just a little bitch, before you morphed into a hater”. What a line! It clearly shows that Jarren doesn’t care about anyone, and he isn’t afraid to call out someone if it’s needed. Now, I don’t really know if the whole thing was aimed at Tyler, it may not be, but I’ll go ahead and say it probably is because he says his name and then the line. “Life In the Jungle”, is one song on the album that has a rather different meaning. It sounds like Jarren kind of explains his hardships in the “jungle” (the rap game). I have to say that I really did enjoy the song, and that I hope Jarren raps more about his hardships, and how hard he tried to make it before Funk Volume picked them up. “Cadillacs & Chevys”, was actually the song that got me into Jarren and got me hyped for this album. I mean it has some nasty raps, and Jarren has some a sick flow on this track. The best line on this song is “By the way, I finally sucked my own dick” I don’t know what it is about that line in the song, but it cracked me up the first time I heard it. The beat on this song is also something that makes it sound better too. The producer definitely did the song some wonders! Now for “Even More No Homo (Skit). If you remember from “Freebasing With Kevin Bacon”, there was a skit with two guys talking, and the one that kept saying “No homo” when he clearly is acting a bit “homo”, and the guy he’s talking too just wants to basically hang up, and not talk to the guy anymore. It’s back on this, but the guy actually hangs up on him this time. The skit is definitely funny, and stood out a lot on the album. It will make you laugh! “Bully Ft Vinnie Paz)", Vinnie definitely killed this track in a good way; his raps are nasty and I’m definitely digging his flow. Jarren had a good idea to get him as a feature, and it definitely did the album some good! Vinnie didn’t have just one verse, he’s somewhat in the song the whole way. He just doesn’t have a full verse. “Go Off Ft. Hopsin And Swizz”, yes, Jarren managed to get his label mates on a track, and one of the sickest songs on the album if I do say so myself. Hopsin and Swizz are a couple of my favorite rappers, and I’m pretty happy that Jarren got them on a song together. I wish Dizzy Wright was on this track as well. If he was, this song would have been the sickest rap song to come out this year. Swizz definitely up’d his game a lot, and you can tell he did with his verse. I’m still waiting for him to drop an album! Hopsin also had a sick verse, but everything he spits is great, and worth the listen. “We On (My Own D*ck Ft Dizzy Wright & Pound)", Of course when you get Dizzy Wright on a track, the beat has to have a stoner flow to it, and this definitely does! I’m hoping I see a song with all of Funk Volume (besides the songs they do at the beginning of every year). When they do, It’d be legit, and something worth the listen. Dizzy Wright, if anything, reminds me of Wiz Khalifa in a way. Their raps are similar, and they look somewhat alike. I’ve never heard of Pound, until today. But he did the song some good, and I’ll have to definitely check him out more! “Oj Ft. Elz Jenkins”, alright, I’ll be honest, I became a fan of Elz through Jarren, and I have to admit that he still impresses me. Jarren and Elz are two sick rappers that should collaborate a lot more. This song sounds like it could be about the infamous Oj Simpson (not too sure). If it is, Jarren may start some convtreversy with the track meaning. The beat, and his flow are spot on though. I definitely want to hear more like this, expecially with Elz. “My Grandmas Basment”, is the last song on the album, and the title track. It has one of the loudest beats on the album! This may be a favorite to some people, and some people may also hate it.  Either way, I give the beat maker some serious props! Jarren's raps on this song are nasty, and he fast raps on this a few times. Breakdown: Cleans: Jarren’s improved a bit with his vocals, and he definitely got a lot better with his fast raps, where he talks really fast to the point where you can’t hear him rap. Jarren’s flow is also improving in places where it lacked. I definitely can’t wait to see him perfect his vocal style, and sit on top of all these other rappers. I feel this happening in his future. I hope so! If anyone, I’d love to see Jarren become bigger than Lil Wayne. He definitely has the skills! Beat: The beats on this album are just sick, and I don’t even know how Jarren could find beat makers better than the ones used on this. There’s a few that are definitely the stoner type of beats. (Like in the song with Dizzy Wright.) and you can feel it in the beats. Some of them are some “bangers” for sure!

Rating: 10/10
Like him on facebook