Kanye West - Yeezus

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, June 30, 2013

Track list:
1. On Sight
2. Black SkinHead
3. I Am A God (ft. God)
4. New Slave (ft. Frank Ocean)
5. Hold My Liquor (ft. Cheif Keef  & Justin Vernon)
6. I'm In It (ft. Travis Scott)
7. Blood On The Leaves
8. Guilt Trip (ft. Kid Cudi)
9. Send It Up (ft. King Louie)
10. Bound 2 (ft. Charlie Wilson)



Genre: Rap
For Fans Of: Kid Cudi, Frank Ocean, King Louie

We all know that Kanye West is good for writing love songs, and breakup songs. However, what we didn't know is that he has a rather dark side to his music, and we can see this side in his album, Yeezus, pretty well. I mean one of the songs is called “Black Skinhead”, that alone shows some of his dark side. Now I don’t know if Kanye wrote this album for fun, or to show his fan base that he has a dark side and that he’s open enough to show it to everyone without a care as to what anyone will say about it. When I first saw the track listing to this album I was like… What? God? God features in a Kanye West song? I was confused, and I wanted to know if it was a joke or not. It just so happened to be that Kanye West was considering himself as a god throughout the song. Which is pretty weird, if you ask me. A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “On Sight”, “Black Skinhead”, ”I Am God ft. God”, ”Hold My Liquor ft. Chief Keef & Justin Vernon”, ”Guilt trip ft. Kid Cudi”, and “Bound 2 ft. Charlie Wilson”. “On Sight”, is the first song on Yeezus, and it is also the shortest song. “On Sights” beat was the downfall of the song, because the beat is pretty annoying, or at least it was in my opinion. It reminded me of a techno song. How Kanye could rap on that beat is completely beyond me honestly. I’m not saying that the beat and his flow didn't go along, but it barely went along okay. Some of the stuff he spit was pretty sick though, I give him props for that. Now “Black Skinhead”, is the song that shows Kanye’s dark side. Now when I talk about a dark side, I do mean a dark side. Kanye uses some “racial” phrases throughout the song. Now, this only supports the title of the song. My only thought while listening to this song was “How do Kanye’s fans feel about this?” I did happen to read some comments on YouTube, and some of the reviews on iTunes. People had different opinions on it; some people enjoyed it and called it dope, some people said it was dumb and that he could have used other words instead of being so racist with it. I honestly don’t think Kanye West mean it in a racist way at all, I think It was to show off his darker side. “I Am God ft. God”, is the song that really got to me because of the feature, I mean come on, really? God? I know Kanye West believes in Jesus but not God. (How that works is confusing). But I did read on the internet that this song caught many Christian’s attention, and they weren’t too happy about this, or the album. Some of them said that they gave up on Kanye West. After reading that, I don’t know if that means that Kanye lost a lot of a supporting fans or not, but I hope that his next album is going to gain them back if he records another album, because Yeezus was his sixth studio album. We’ll have to see and find out what Kayne decides to do next though. Only time will tell. “Hold My Liquor ft. Chief Keef & Justin Vernon”, was a song that also caught my attention because of the features. I mean Chief Keef, and Kanye West? This was something I thought that I would NEVER see in my lifetime. Now oddly enough, Chief Keef doesn’t say “Bang Bang”. He does the chorus mostly, which is something I highly enjoy, believe it or not, but I really do like Chief Keef’s music. There’s just something about it that really catches my attention. If you get rid of the “Bang Bang” in most of the songs, you have something that’s actually really good and that fits the rap genre quite well, or how it makes the rap genre seem out to be. Now for “Guilt Trip ft. Kid Cudi”. Kanye West, and Kid Cudi have a few songs together, and each song they do together is highly impressive, and usually better than the last. Even this song manages to be better than the other songs that they've done together. Kid Cudi is somewhat like Kanye West, and that might be why they’re so good together. They both (Kanye used too) write love and break up songs, and also make some sick raps (Kanye still does this, thankfully!). Lastly, there’s “Bound 2 ft. Charlie Wilson”. Now, I don’t think I ever saw Charlie Wilson and Kanye West do a song together until this one. This song had some older hip hop elements in it. I think that idea came to Kanye’s mind, and he was probably thinking “Who would be better to feature in this song than Charlie Wilson?” There really would be no better choice than Charlie, honestly. I’m glad Charlie still had it in him to do this song, since Charlie is sixty. Charlie may be older than Kanye, and most artist coming out today, but he still sounds like he did when he was their age; and that is true talent. I’d be lying if I said that this song wasn't a good idea for a last song. This song helped to make this album sound a bit less dark. Now this song also gave the album a POW for an ending, which means it really ended off the album perfectly, and I do give him props for tracking this album greatly. The few things that I’d say that ruined this album would be that some of the beats sounded more like a techno song than a rap beat. A lot of the beats sounded rather similar too. Finally, some of the lines he spit were just crazy, and could have been a little bit better.
Breakdown:
Cleans: Kanye West’s vocals are definitely some of the best in this genre. They normally fit well, and he’s good at adding some emotion behind them. Sadly, on this album that changes… a lot. On this album he sounds like he’s careless about his vocals, and is pretty much just freestyling. Now I may not know a lot about rap, but I do know about freestyling, and about writing them down and saying them. He may have wrote them down, but it kind of sounds like he’s just saying the first thing that comes to his mind. Which I do give him props for, if he did just say it out of his head.
Beats: Oh god… Some of the beats on this release, could have been done a lot differently. I feel as if they tried to go the techno route, and just didn’t get quite there, correctly. I honestly don’t really like some of the beats on this album, and I hope that on the next album that Kanye West has a different beat producer. I mean, maybe it’s the beat producer’s style, and if it is, it just doesn’t really fit with Kanye’s style at all. I do see some people liking the beats, but some people have been saying what I’m basically saying. I do have to say that there are some enjoyable beats. But there are some beats that just make you want to skip the song as soon as you hear them. We can just hope that the next album doesn't have these type of beats, If there is a next album.

Rating: 5/10
Like him on facebook