Kill Kingsley - Welcome

Posted by Unknown On Monday, April 22, 2013

Track list:
1. GameChangers
2. House Call From Dr. Shakalu 
3. Pretending I Speak In Tongues








Genre: Metal
For Fans Of: Attila, Blind Witness, Volumes

Kill Kingsley is a rather small band to be honest but such a good one, it’s saddening that they’re not bigger than they are now. This is their first actual release and it sounds pretty good to be honest, they easily show their influences from other bands in every song on this rather small ep, you can also hear some other genres in their music besides just metal, I don’t know if you can really call djent a genre but it does have that vibe in these songs it’s a rather strong vibe as well. I’m going to really want to hear more from this guys in their future of being a band. This ep could have been a little better, maybe different recording style, not bashing it, it sounds raw no production on it which I do like a lot, because you can hear their actual talents, my issue with it though is that you can only really hear the vocals and the drumming the best you can somewhat hear the guitars though, but not all the time which is what I don’t like. But other than that they did an amazing job with this release and I hope them the best in their careers!


“GameChangers”
First song and the shortest song on the ep, this song might be the one song that really shows off the djent genre through the whole song, you can sort of hear that influence in the song pretty well and you know it’s there. The intro to the song is pretty nifty as well, it kind of makes it have a deathcore feel to it, that’s one thing that got my attention at first I mean, a siren then a gun shot, this has a good song? And if you listen to this song with this mindset you’re correct! This song is wonderful for a first song on their debut ep.
Breakdown:
Screams: The screams are pretty self- explanatory, they’re basically deep growls with a nice flow to them, and it does end up working with this band’s sound pretty well. The vocalist seems like he can get pretty deep with his vocals which kind of got me hooked on listening to the song, really impressive to hear for first song on the debut ep as well.
Instruments: the instrument play is great to be honest, the only thing that I can honestly say I don’t like it the fact you can hear the vocals and drumming and somewhat the guitar the best, I kind of wish it was recorded a bit differently but that’s just me. I’m not bashing it either way I still love this song and it was great to hear their full talents in 3 minutes of the song being played, even though it could have been a bit different, maybe in the future they’ll expand their talents and do something even better than this ep? High hopes for this band, not going to lie.

“House Call From Dr. Shakalu”
The name kind of me laughing a little bit, not going lie about that, sort of an original song name. This song easily shows the djent influence as soon as the song kicks in, which is pretty neat, on the first and this song you can hear most of the other genres in the songs and how they influence this band. You can also hear the other bands sound that influence this band which is really new and awesome to hear as well. It doesn't really sound like this band could do any wrong for their genre which really impresses me in every way you can impress someone that’s a critic for music. If this band doesn't release an album next year or sometime later in this year I don’t know what I’d do, or maybe more singles because to be honest three songs isn't enough for a band’s debut ep, that’s another thing I dislike about this release but hey, they definitely did something good with the small amount of songs they have on this release, I wish it was more but have to look on the bright side it’s not one or two or one song and two instrumentals.
Breakdown:
Screams: The screams are sort of like the first songs scrams, but this time mixed with some high notes and high style screams which is something that made this song great! The higher screams give this song the Attila vibe in my opinion, like Attila’s older stuff from back in 2007? I think that’s when their first release came out, it gives me that feeling for some reason, which is great to hear, I love how you can easily hear all the other influences instrumentally, vocally you name it, and you can easily hear it.
Instruments: I think five seconds into the song you can hear the djent influence pretty well. This band could easily become a great djent band or a band that uses many genres hands down, I think the amount of influences this band has sets them apart in the metal genre. Everything about this band does impress me so far I wonder what the last song could hold for me. Maybe the best song on the ep? Maybe the song that easily becomes my favorite from this band? We’ll have to see now won’t we!

“Pretending I Speak In Tongues”
Last song on this very small release sadly, I kind of wish it was a bit longer to be completely honest, I don’t know how many times I've said that in this review but it’s true. If band releases more music this year I could die happy, literally this three song ep won’t really last me long, I really want some more stuff from this band soon, that’s just the impression they left on me as well, wanting more, maybe with the next release they’ll improve in a few areas and get some better recording stuff? It’d be nice to hear everything in this band not just a few things.
Breakdown:
Screams: On this song the screams sound deep and heated which is good it adds some emotion to the song  which only makes me more impressed with this band, I’d seriously love to see more from these dudes in the future of their careers. The vocalist is really talented and everything but I’d like to see him improve his vocals a little bit to get the best sound he can get and maybe get a bit deeper on the next release to even impress me a bit more. I hope their fan base enjoys this release as much as I did in all honesty.
Instruments: The first few minutes it sounds like guitar feed a bit, which isn't really a bad thing it shows that the ep was recorded raw no edits which is good, I wish all bands did some raw stuff because it brightly shows off their talents and makes something new to listen too, but I don’t know if you can produce it with it being raw un-edited but if you could that’d be really cool. But anyway, this song is my favorite instrumentally because of the guitar riffs and the mini solo you’ll hear in the song.

Rating: 9/10
Like them on facebook