Butcher Babies - Goliath

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Track list:
1. I Smell A Massacre
2. Magnolia Blvd
3. C8H18 (Gasoline)
4. Grim Sleeper
5. Goliath
6. In Denial
7. Give Me A Reason
8. The Mirror Never Lies
9. Dead Poet
10. The Deathsurround
12. Axe Wound



Genre: Metal
For Fans Of: Otep, In This Moment, Nervosa


Females in the metal genre is a very rare occasion, and when you do see females in the genre you always have people thinking that they’ll sound bad or even terrible, and not worth the time listening too. However, I’ll be the first to tell you that doesn't go for Butcher Babies at all. Their two vocalists don’t just have powerful looks, but they both also have powerful voices. When you hear the high screams on some of the songs that are on this album, they hit you like nails on a chalk board. When I gave this album its first good play through, I heard some parts that sounded like Maria Brink, and her band, In This Moment. Some parts that reminded me, were mostly the spoken parts. It sounded a lot like Otep. You can definitely tell right off the start that Otep, and In This Moment influenced Butcher Babies a little bit on this album. I’d have to say that may have done the album some real good in showing off those influences. A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “I Smell A Massacre”, “C8H18 (Gasoline)”, “Grim Sleeper”, “Give Me Reason”, “Dead Poet”, ”The Mirror Never Lies”, and “Axe Wound”. “I Smell A Massacre”, is the first on the album, and I have to say that Butcher Babies went all out on it, in order to make a song that’s highly enjoyable. This will get their listeners stoked about the album as soon as it starts. This song might be a favorite for some people, once they hear it. I found it highly enjoyable, and somewhat unusual that a band would put some of their best work first on the album. The technique is pretty cool, and definitely does them a lot of good! Now, I did say that this is some of their best work. It’s a huge step up from their other stuff that they've released. But, there are a few songs on Goliath that are their best songs to have ever been released. This, is one of those songs. “C8H18 (Gasoline)” is another song that is very catchy. This song is better on the lyrics, in my opinion. It shows off the clean vocals nicely. The screamer does some crazy stuff on this song. She does them on the other two songs, but this is a song you hear it a bit more in. Now for “Grim Sleeper”, remember when I told you about the Butcher Babies kind of sounding like Otep? This would be the song that you can hear that in, and you don’t even have to listen to the full song. You hear it as soon as the song starts; the spoken part sounds a lot like Otep. The whole song sounds like it was influenced a bit by Otep, which isn't a bad thing, honestly. “Give Me Reason”, is another song that you hear the crazy things that the screamer does. Honestly, if you compare the two vocals on this album, it’d have to be in the lines of “Demonic Screams” and “Angelic Clean Vocals” because that’s just how they sound. They’re both really enjoyable, and how the band managed to put them together to sound like they do, is quite impressive. Another thing about this song, is that you can hear the In This Moment influence, a bit. “The Mirror Never Lies”, is my all-time favorite song on this release, and from this band. This song really shows how they've improved from everything they've released. Just like “I Smell A Massacre”, it shows the bands full power in their music, and it sort of shows all their influences a bit. Which only makes this song better than the other songs. I definitely recommend this song (The Mirror Never Lies), and “I Smell A Massacre” to any new fan of Butcher Babies. “Dead Poet”, would be the song that’s heavily influenced by In This Moment, and you can tell this right off the start in the song. If you’re an In This Moment fan, this would be the song for you. This song is a rather hard blow, as well. It’s pretty fast, and heavy, and then it has a few seconds where it’s soft, and the vocals are whispering. I have to say that this whole song seriously impressed me. Sadly, this album has to come to an end, and what better way to end it than “Axe Wound”. The song is packed with heaviness, and ended off the album with a pretty big bang. This may help them build up some of their hype for their next album. Honestly, I can’t wait to see how the Butcher Babies amount to Goliath. If anything, I hope that the album is a bit heavier, and has some more songs like “Grim Sleeper” and “Dead Poet”.
Breakdown:
Cleans: Now, I do have to say that the clean vocals are a bit “Angelic”. And yes, I do mean that. They’re soothing, and just sound something like an angel. This is something that I wasn't expecting, at all. I was thinking that the cleans would sound a bit different, but to my surprise they sound rather nice. This really does show off the uniqueness in the Butcher Babies.
Screams: Now, when you hear “Angelic” sound, you sort of need the opposite, “Demonic” sound. Now, I won’t completely say that’s what the screams sound like, but in a way, they do. Both types of screams were unexpected, and great if I do say so myself. I’m stoked for the next release! Maybe the girls (the vocalists), will improve a bit, and make another unexpected vocal style.
Instruments: The instruments aren't just heavy, but also soft. There’s a mixture of the two, and they’ll randomly hit one after the other. This is something that doesn't only flow with their sound, but also adds some uniqueness to it. I mean, I don’t really know of many bands that can be really heavy one moment, and then somewhat soft the next. That was probably one of my favorite things to hear in their sound. I hope they do this on the next release that they have, I really do.

Rating: 10/10
Like them on facebook