Misery Signals - Absent Light

Posted by Unknown On Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Track list:
1. A Glimmer Of Hope
2. Luminary
3. Reborn (An Execution)
4. Carrier
5. Shadows And Depths
6. Lost Relics
7. Two Solitudes
8. Departures
9. The Shallows
10. Ursa Minor
11. Everything Will Rust



Genre: Metalcore
For Fans Of: Northlane, Volumes, 7 Angels 7 Plagues




Honestly, I've never thought I’d hear another band music that has the strength of Hatebreed’s, or even a little bit more strength than that. Misery Signals happens to be one of those bands that does have the strength of Hatebreed, and you can hear this strength in a few of the songs on this album. This whole album is something that you can mosh too, there isn't one song on this album that you couldn't mosh too. That’s what music should be about, in my opinion. Connection, emotion, and something that your fans can go a little bit crazy to (And possibly go to the hospital, because we know people in the pit don’t always follow the rules of the pit). I've never actually heard of Misery Signals until this album, and the first time I gave this album a play it sort of reminded me of Volumes for some reason? I guess because the vocal styles in the bands are somewhat similar, but of course, they’re different as well. Misery Signals screamer’s range is mainly in the low section of it, which isn't a bad thing, but he could have spiced up the album a bit with going towards the high section a bit more. The thing that stood out the most to me on this album would have to be the instrument play. The instrument play is well written.  Nothing is done poorly, or terribly, everything is given a purpose and a chance to be clearly heard on this album. Which is another thing that I like about Misery Signals. In most bands you can only hear the vocals, lead guitar, and drums, but with Misery Signals, you can hear everything (even the bass!). A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “A Glimmer Of Hope”, “Reborn (An Execution)”, “Shadows And Depth”, “Two Solitudes”, “Ursa Minor”, and “Everything Will Rust”. “A Glimmer Of Hope”, was literally the first song from Misery Signal that I have heard from them, and if you can’t guess already, it got me hooked on them. This song is the shortest song on their album, but it had a punch and a kick to it, to make it enjoyable. When I say that Misery Signals has the strength of Hatebreed in their music, I do honestly mean that. I feel like Misery Signals could improve their strength a bit in their music to make it “over the top” sounding. “Reborn (An Execution)”, this song had an interesting intro to it. The guitar play kind of stood out to me on this song along with the drumming on this song. I mean none of these songs (in my opinion) aren't enjoyable, each one has something that stands out on it and makes it unique than the other song that just played. The name as well “Reborn (An Execution)” makes this song a bit different, the name caught my eye at first I have to add that. “Shadows And Depths”, this song name caught my full attention at first, because of the name. I was kind of wondering what this song would hold and by my surprise it held something remarkably good. I’d have to completely say it I’ve only heard a few songs so far from Misery Signals, and I could easily put them in my top ten bands you need to listen too, because of how good they are. I mean some people might hate them, some might love them, and some people might just like them, who knows, but they’re definitely worth listening too. “Shadows And Depths”, is another one of my favorite songs by them. They’re definitely making me really happy with their sound so far. One main factor that I end up liking about this song would be that it’s five minutes long (I love long songs, the longer the better right?). “Two Solitudes”, starts off with the vocalist being heavy with his vocals, which is highly enjoyable as I see it. “Two Solitude”, is another song that sorts of packs a punch, in a very good way. Most of the songs by Misery Signals pack a punch, and a rather brutal one at that. “Ursa Minor”, is a song that has some of the better instrument play (in my opinion). The drumming is what really makes this song a bit better. It’s done rather heavily, and the drummer really makes it worth listening too. If you’re into drumming, there’s some great drum playing on this whole album. There’s a few songs that make it stand out a lot more throughout the album. “Ursa Minor”, is another ender as I like to say. It basically leads to the last song, which officially ends off the album. “Ursa Minor” and “Everything Will Rust” were honestly the best two choices to end off the album with, in my opinion. I’d have to say that the album takes a turn for the better. I’m pretty stoked on another album to be honest. “Everything Will Rust”, well how can you end an album off better than with this song? This song kind of starts off softer, then kicks into full brutality for your ears to hear. This song was a good pick on the bands part to end off this wonderful release.
Breakdown:
Cleans: Yes there are some parts with clean vocals, the album is filled with everything; cleans, screams, drums, bass, and guitar. All the things that you need to make a great album. The clean vocals are the best at the end of the album on “Everything Will Rust”. The clean vocals have a rather whisper type thing going on with them, which in my opinion, is great.
Screams: The screams… the scream man. This is where it’s at on this album! The screams pack a HUGE punch (“I’ma punchin’ yo bunz!” Sorry, it’s adventure time reference). The vocalist goes low with a lot of his vocals, to make it add strength to the music. This whole album is something to mosh too.
Instrument: The instruments in my opinion, are great. The drumming, the guitaring, just everything is literally good, and has its worth. Nothing is centered more to be better, it’s all equally good as I see it, and it looks like the band saw this as well. The whole album is filled with goodness for your ears, breakdowns and all! This album is packed with good stuff to listen too. I honestly do recommend listening to this album, and giving the band some attention.

Rating: 9/10
Like them on facebook