Secrets - Fragile Figures

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Track list:
1. How We Survive
2. Ready For Repair
3. Forever And Never
4. Artist Vs Who?
5. Wasted Youth (Part. 1)
6. The Architect (Part. 2)
7. Maybe Next May
8. Fragile Figures
9. Live Together, Die Alone
10. Infinite Escape
11. Sleep Well, Darling



Genre: Post Hardcore
For Fans Of: My Ticket Home, At The Skylines, That's Outrageous!

“Take me back to where we started, let's erase every memory and make it so we never existed” is probably one of my favorite lines on Fragile Figures. Secrets didn't only step up their game with the loss of their vocalist, Xander, (which made me pretty upset) but with their new addition, Aaron, they stepped up their game vocally, instrumentally, and my favorite, lyrically. Secrets has been one of my favorite bands since “The Ascent” came out. I mean I honestly didn't expect them to ever amount to the “The Ascent”, but “Fragile Figures” definitely amounted to it, and even went above and beyond that. I can honestly say that it's one of the best albums from these guys. I really want to see how the band ever amounts to this, I really do. I don’t think they could ever top this, but if they do, I’ll be sure to listen to that album more than I do this one. “Fragile Figures” is one of those summer albums that are about love/breakups, and real topics that can be related to in everyday life. This is something that I would have to say that I enjoyed the most from Secrets. Their lyrics concept are the best in my opinion. Many bands are catching onto writing about things that can be related to, and things that they've gone through. Which really makes sense. I’d rather listen to something that has meaning, than listen to something with no meaning at all. a few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “How We Survive”, ” Ready For Repair”, ”Forever And Never”, “Wasted Youth (Part 1)”, “The Architect (Part 2)”, “Maybe Next May”, ”Infinite Escape”, and “Sleep Well, Darling”. “How We Survive”, is the start of the album, and I’d have to say that it makes the album a bit more spicey to listen too, because it starts off heavy, and soft. It basically shows you how Secrets sounds, and how they've improved lyrically, instrumentally, and vocally. This really does the album some good. “Ready For Repair”, is one of my favorite songs on this album. I talked to Secrets drummer, Joe, about what this song means. He said, and I quote “I had an old car in the garage that was ready for repair.” (Of course this was a joke, the song means something deeper, but still that’s pretty funny). “Ready For Repair”, basically shows how the bands gotten better with relating to real topics that fans can also relate to, which is one of the many reasons as to why I enjoy this album. “Forever And Never”, is another song that I enjoyed a lot, because it was rather catchy, and had some more of the memorable lyrics such as “How could you ever expect a boy like me to ever stand a chance against a girl with you”, “I thought I needed you, but no one needs someone who can’t choose between true love or just lies”, and my favorite lyrics in the song "you always looked better lying on your back than you did lying to my face". “Wasted Youth (Part 1)” and for whatever reason, this song has a part two. I don’t know if they mean the same thing lyrically, or not. I counted these both as one big song together, for that reason. “Wasted Youth (Part 1)”, is enjoyable when it comes to clean vocals, in my opinion. I think the clean vocals over did the screams on this song, which isn't a bad thing. Both vocalists have equal parts, it's just that the clean vocals stood out a bit more to me. “The Architect (Part 2), is a song that kind of hit home for me. I can relate to it a little bit, which is one reason I like it so much. A few lines of the song that I think hit home would be, “If I live my life like you want me to, would you be proud of me?", "Why could you never put your faith in me? Allow me to dream" and "Footsteps aren't always meant to be followed". Those lines stood out the most to me, which is something that is highly enjoyable. Those lines will be the lines that I'll sing the loudest when I see Secrets live again, (I caught their set during The Vans Warped Tour and did a bit on their set, which was amazing. All of the guys have a kind personality that makes you want to see them again). “Maybe Next May” is one of the “love” songs on the album. The picture that I see in my mind while listening to this is some guy singing to the girl that he likes, making an attempt to serenade her, and possibly get them to date. I mean, the vibe for that is definitely in the song, which is something that makes the song stick out a bit more. In “Infinite Escape”, “these are my brothers, we have each other”, is probably the one line that makes this song, oh, and it's the group vocals on this song. I mean who doesn’t like group vocals? I like the fact that everyone (or it seems like everyone) was singing that part. I’m glad that the band members considers themselves brothers, and I hope they stay that way. It’d kill me to see a band this good end, because of something dumb. “Sleep Well, Darling” is one song that I wasn't expecting from Secrets, or at least not on this album, because it’s an acoustic song, and all the other songs are heavy. The clean vocals on this album are beautifully done. Secret’s clean vocalist is one of a kind, and I don’t think they could EVER replace him, even if they honestly tried. The band wouldn't be the same without him.
Breakdown: 
Cleans: The clean vocals are something that sets Secrets apart from other bands. Their clean vocalist has a better range, and he can hit some really high notes on stage (and also in the studio), which many bands can’t do. Many bands try to pull off the really high notes, and end up messing up. When I saw Secrets live, he managed to pull them off perfectly. As long as they have the clean vocalist, and the screamers, Secrets will never be like any other band in this genre. 
Screams: Even though the screamer is new, and I’m pretty sure that everyone who was a fan of the older vocalist didn't know what to expect at first, once Secrets posted their newest song fully I’m pretty sure he made a pretty good impression on them. He made a good and strong impression on me. I’m pretty excited to see what he does next, his vocals are kind of new to hear and he can pull off all his screams, live which makes him an even better pick for Secrets. 
Instruments: The instrument play improved a lot on this album, which is something I highly enjoyed. The drumming was a bit louder than it was on the last release, and the guitar playing improved a lot, leading to a better flow to them on this album.

Rating: 10/10
Like them on facebook