Counterparts - The Difference Between Hell and Home

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Track list:
1. Lost
2. Ghost
3. Debris
4. Outlier
5. Witness
6. Decay
7. Compass
8. Wither
9. Cursed
10. Slave
11. Soil



Genre: Melodic Hardcore
For Fans Of: Hundredth, It Prevails, Climates

Melodic Hardcore has always been a genre that I've listened too, and slowly got in to. Counterparts managed to make me a fan of them with one song. I’ll admit it, I've never actually gave them a solid listen until this album, and I have to be completely honest, this album is perfection made into thirty seven minutes. I’d be completely lying if I said that Counterparts didn't write a great album, and one that’s for the average hardcore kid. Hardcore bands stand out, and none of them are ever the same. They may sound an alike, but none are ever fully the same. This is something that makes them stand out in music. The topics they write about aren't “fake”, they’re real life topics, and they express their emotions toward sad topics pretty heavily. Counterparts is a band that writes music (as it seems) for their fans, and for their experiences. Counterparts' lyrics could mean a lot of things, and I’m taking a wild guest about what they really write for. I’d be lying if I said that Counterparts wasn't a dying breed of brands. They have a strong voice, and they definitely use their voice in their lyrics. This is something admirable to say the least, and something that makes them worth listening too. I can't lie, there aren't many songs on this album that I dislike. Each song on this album are equally good; none of them are better than the other, they all equal in skill. However, some of them are done differently to set them apart, and to make them sound different. I'm not saying that if they all sounded the same instrumentally, they’d be bad. As long as it wasn’t the same lyrically. A few songs that stood out on this album would have to be, “Lost”, ”Outlier”, ”Compass”, ”Cursed”, ”Slave”, and “Soil”. “Lost”, is the first song on the album, and it has a name that kind of matches the album title “The Difference Between Hell And Home”. What I mean by that, is that maybe in the middle of those two, the person gets lost between the two, and doesn’t know which one is which. “Lost” definitely starts off the album perfectly, in my opinion. It made the album have this vibe to it that stood out. I mean, I’m not use to the whole Melodic Hardcore scene in music yet, but I’m getting there. After listening to Counterparts, it makes me wonder what other bands could hold? “Outlier”, is one of my favorite songs on this album. The lyrics sort of pack a punch, and the instruments on this song are my favorite. The way that everything flows together, is something that makes me want to listen to this song, and this album, over and over again. The first time I listened to this album, I was wondering why I didn’t give this band a chance before? “Outlier”, and “Lost”, are the two songs that make me think of how dumb I was, for passing up this band at first. It also makes me happy to hear it though, because I gave the band a chance. “Compass”, is heavier than it is soft, but the meaning speaks loud. It’s one of the songs that I’d give a five out of five too. The vocalist puts some power behind his vocals on this release, and even more power on this song. It’s not like you can’t feel the power, and the emotion he’s trying to make you feel. It’s there, it’s all there, which only makes the album better, and gives it more of a reason to listen to it. “Cursed”, is one of the songs that I strayed from at first and then started getting into it. It's not one of my favorites, but it’s a song that I enjoy listening to. “Slave”, this song kind of gave me a hateful hardcore feeling at first, because of the instrument play. Now I don’t expect Counterparts not to be original, but their instrument play influences sound like other bands, in a way. That’s not a bad thing, I kind of enjoy it. It shows that they listen to the other bands in their genre, and take notes. “Soil” is the longest song on the album, and probably one of the main songs that stand out on this release. The power that the band put behind this song is incredible, and the feelings you can get from it (If you can relate to it) are phenomenal . For most of the songs on this album, I'm sure someone could relate to, in a way. It’s a well written album, and I give the band props on that. Counterparts made me a fan of the Melodic genre a bit more than I already was. Breakdown:
Screams: The vocals are mainly screams, but they have some intense power behind them. This makes them stand out, in my opinion. I know that every hardcore (or almost every) band has power behind their vocals, but the vocalist in Counterparts ties it up, and brings it home to prove that they’re one of the better bands in the genre. Counterparts may be the first Melodic hardcore band that I’ve listen to so far, but they surely won’t be the last one. Instruments: The instrument play is anything, but soft. There might be a few parts that can be considered soft, but the album overall is heavy, and packs a punch. Not a small punch either, it’s actually a pretty big one. The instrument play ties in with the vocals on the album, perfectly. It's as if they were written to go together, which in my opinion, may have done the release a lot better. I could only imagine what the band would have done if the instrument parts were written differently, and the effect that would have on that release. Some parts could easily be written differently, but that doesn’t mean it will one hundred percent fit with the vocals. I think Counterparts writes some of the best instrument parts, because of this. Everything, and I do mean everything, goes together perfectly. No parts “stick out”, or seem “odd” to have
Rating: 9/10
Like them on facebook