Sleep City - Distance & Age

Posted by Unknown On Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Track list:
1. Distance & Age
2. Beneath The Leaves
3. Worn Down
4. Four Walls
5. Ghost Town
6. So Close
7. Nothing To Lose
8. Four Seasons Love
9. Eye To Eye
10. No Cure
11. Numbers



Genre Post Hardcore
For Fans Of: Hands Like Houses, Too Late The Hero, In League




Sleep City reminds me a bit of Hands Like Houses, I mean they’re both “softcore” as you could say. Sleep City has a unique vocal style, and same goes for the vocalist in Hands Like Houses. But the thing that Sleep City has, that Hands Like Houses doesn't, is their flow. Sleep City makes their songs go pretty fast (flow wise). I’d have to say that I do enjoy Sleep City, even though they’re not really my kind of taste of genre. I’m more for the heavy vocals, breakdowns, and loud drumming. But I do have a soft spot for bands like Sleep City, Hands Like Houses, and the other softer bands in the post hardcore genre. I’d have to say that Sleep City sounds like one of the bands that a guy would show his girlfriend, and make their songs their “couple” songs while they’re together, then they’d sing it, and do all that other cute stuff that couples do… (Keeping it PG13). I've gave some listens to Sleep City’s older work before I started writing this, and they've improved a bit, which is something that I enjoy about them. Another thing that I like about them is that not all their songs sound the same. I’m not a big fan of Sleep City because I just found out about them recently, but I’ll definitely be sticking around to see their work, and how they grow on their next releases. A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “Distance & Age”, “Worn Down”, “Ghost Town”, ” Nothing To Lose”, “No Cure”, and “Numbers”. “Distance & Age” was the first song that I heard by Sleep City, and it shows off their sound when you listen to it on the album. You might be a new fan, but just from “Distance & Age” you’ll get a good grip on Sleep City’s musical sound, and their influences. Now, this isn’t a bad thing for them to show new fans their sound on the first song on their album. I mean, this is only a bit of their sound that they’re showing. They have a lot more in-store for new fans which is a good thing to have. “Worn Down”, is one of my favorites on this album if I do say so myself. This song has a lot of emotional connections to it, which is something that you can get from softer bands in the post hardcore genre. You can get them from heavier bands, just not as often as softer bands. I’m all for bands putting emotion into their music, and making songs that have a rather heavy meaning. Honestly, it gives their music more of a jump, and spices their albums up a lot more, and it honestly looks better on them. Now for “Ghost Town”, I really liked this songs instruments at the Intro, and then the vocals came in soft. Honestly, the vocalist of Sleep City has a rather nice range, and he doesn't make his vocals too high, or too low. He tries to set them up in the “right” range, which isn't too high, or too low, it’s just about “right” with their musical sound. “Ghost Town”, is the song that kind of supports this idea. The musical sound is really soft, sort of acoustic, if you ask me. The vocalist had to change his range on “Four Walls”, to the vocals he needs on “Ghost Town” in order to match the guitar play. “Nothing To Lose”, is my favorite song on this album. The guitar on this song was rather neat to hear.  The little guitar playing at the intro caught me off guard, and had me all excited to hear. I can honestly tell that the guitar player has some skills, I’d like to see him pull that off live, if he can. That’d be pretty neat to see what he does, while doing that guitar part. Maybe he’d get a little crazy with it? “No Cure”, also supports my idea on the vocalists range. His range had to change a few times, and every time it changes, it matches that songs sound perfectly. It’s a pretty big jump sometimes, and sometimes it’s a rather small one. Either way, it’s still pretty impressive to hear. My only thing with this, is if they can pull it off live, as well as they do on the studio. If they can, then the band might become my favorite band in the softcore part of post hardcore. Time for “Numbers”. All good things come to an end, sadly, and “Numbers” closes this album off on a soft note, and a great note. The song is the longest on the album, but hey, I’m not complaining. The lyrics on this song stood out to me the first few times I gave it a play. There isn't really anything bad about “Numbers”, well, maybe there is, wait... This might be one that it ends off the album, but I would have placed this as the second last song to add more of a dramatic type of an ending. It could work? Maybe we’ll see that on the next Sleep City album?
Breakdown:
Cleans: There’s only really clean vocals on this album, yes I know, it’s horrible. But hey, at least the clean vocalist isn't bad with his vocals? He’s pretty good in my opinion, his changing of his range is rather impressive. He does go high, and he does go low, but on a lot of the songs he tries to even out his rage, and his vocals to fit with the songs sounds, which is pretty neat. Most vocalist don’t do that, they make it fit along with the vocals, and sometimes it’s just a bit off.
Instruments: The instruments are rather nice, in my opinion. There’s some really crazy guitar playing on a few songs that I would love to see played live. Some of it seems like it would have some crazy motions going on along with the guitar player doing it. I’d love to see this band live, just to see what they do on stage. I hope they actually move around honestly, even though they’re a softer band, they shouldn't be “boring” on stage. They can move around, and have fun. I’ll have to see them when they come around me (if they ever do).

Rating: 8/10
Like them on facebook