Like Moths To Flames - An Eye For An Eye

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Track list:
1. You'll Burn
2. A Feast For Crows
3.  The Common Misconception
4. I Solemnly Swear
5. Deathmarks
6. The Blackout
7. In Dreams
8. Into The Ground (ft. Shane Told)
9. Serpent Herders
10. Nothing But Blood
11. Lord Of Bones (ft. Ahren Stinger)
12. My Own Personal Hell


Genre: Metalcore
For Fans Of: Sliverstein, The Amity Afflictions, Secrets



Like Moths To Flames has never got an ounce of hate, or disrespect for the longest time. They may have, but I've never seen it. When their re-issue came out, I saw it a bit more people complaining about it not being a real album, and only two new songs. People will complain about a lot today it seems, Like Moths To Flames did manage to release a full length and to their surprise and my own, they went angry, heavy, hateful, and emotional. Even better, they tied that into twelve songs. Twelve of the best songs that I've ever heard from a metalcore band. I’d be lying if I said Like Moths To Flames wasn't in my top five bands to check out (they’re actually number three, if anyone cares). Like Moths To Flames did manage to make a great reputation for themselves, and very good name too, if that matters. I honestly don’t think the band could do much wrong when they’re writing music. They know how to make something catchy, heavy, and something with that thing that people really like…what are they called again…b-b-b-…Breakdowns; the main thing that metalcore is known for. A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “You’ll Burn”, ”I Solemnly Swear”, ”The Blackout”, ”Into The Ground (ft. Shane Told)”, ”Nothing But Blood”, ”Lord Of Bones (ft. Ahren Stinger)”, and ”My Own Personal Hell”. “You’ll Burn”, my god, Like Moths To Flames definitely knows how to start an album on a rather brutal note. “You’ll Burn” is loud, it’s heavy, and it’s hateful. Does it not already sound great? I would have to have to say that “You’ll Burn” would be the one song from Like Moths To Flames that I NEED them to play live at the shows that I’m going too. I don’t think that this is on their set list for The Vans Warped Tour (sadly, if it was I’d be going crazy!). “I Solemnly Swear”, now this song is on their The Vans Warped Tour set list (YES! THAT’S ONE!). This song would be the better pick for song number two, because it sounds like it could pick up where “You’ll Burn” leaves off, well, in my opinion anyway. The song is full of surprises and it’s one of the better breakdowns (so far) on the album. On another note with the breakdown part, I cannot wait to see them perform it live tomorrow. It’ll be the highlight of my year (or one of them). Now for “Into The Ground (ft. Shane Told)”, I've never expected Shane Told to ever get on a track with Like Moths To Flames, that was something that I wasn't really expecting at all, but I can’t say that I didn't enjoy it at all. The track is highly enjoyable and it’s definitely worth listening too. I think Shane, and Chris make a very unique duo, and if they ever made a side project together I would die oh so happy. Their vocal styles are very different, but once you put them together they make some of the best vocal sounds and one of the best duos to date (in my opinion of course). Time for “Lord Of Bones (ft. Ahren Stringer)”, if you can’t tell already this might be my favorite song on the album. If you know me at all, you should know that I’m a HUGE fan of The Amity Affliction, and when I saw that Ahren was featuring on this album the fan girl senses came out in me. Two of my vocalists on a song together, I thought it was a sick joke but when I first gave this track a listen, I could just tell everything in the world was right. There is nothing wrong with this song, it has both band’s sound and it’s definitely enjoyable for the average metalcore fan. “My Own Personal Fan”, oh man! Oh man! Not only does Like Moths To Flames know how to start an album, but they know how to end an album as well. I cannot explain how good both “You’ll Burn”, and “My Own Personal Hell” are. Both songs are enjoyable, and highly addictive to listen to. This is something that I give them major props for. Also, if you’re a fan of Like Moths To Flames older albums, there is not a doubt in my mind that’ll you’ll fall in love with this album, it really shows how they've improved, and matured as a band.
Breakdown:
Cleans: The clean vocals have improved in many different places. The vocalist has gotten way better with his range. He can make them a little higher than he could in the previous releases, which makes me really happy, to say the least. The vocalist has also improved his style a bit more, leading to a better match to the music. Two in one, eh? Good enough for me, and hopefully you.
Screams: The screams, are performed by the same guy who does the clean vocals, and the screams have improved a lot. He’s not only gotten louder, but he’s also made his vocals heavier. The range has also improved a lot from older releases. Hey, hey before I keep going… If you liked the older releases and all the vocals on those, don’t think that they have changed to the point where it’s not like the older releases. It’s still highly enjoyable, and the older fans will (hopefully) like it as much as I do.
Instruments: The instruments has gotten heavier, a lot heavier, and better. There are some of the better riffs on this release, which is a good thing to say the least. The drumming packs a lot more of a punch than it did on the first few releases. Everything still manages to flow together, which is something I’ve noticed on every song Like Moths To Flames does. Everything fits, and nothing is left out. It’s like, the guitar, the bass, and the drums are on the same mindset, yet on different instruments. This is another thing that I enjoy about Like Moths To Flames. I really do enjoy almost everything about Like Moths To Flames. They might be “generic” to some, but they’re one of the better bands in the metalcore genre (in my opinion, but it might be able to be proven?).

Rating: 10/10
Like them on facebook