Various Artists - The Smurfs 2

Posted by Unknown On Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Track list:
1. Britney Spears-Ooh La La
2. G.R.L. - Vacation
3. Becky G Feat. Austin Mahone - Magik 2.0
4. Owl City - Live It Up
5. Sophia Black - Everything Breaks
6. Cady Groves - Forget You
7. Kiana Brown - Hey Chica
8. Nelly Furtado Feat. Ace Primo - High Life
9. Buckwheat Zydeco - Tutti Frutti
10. Right Said Fred - I'm Too Smurfy


Genre: Pop
For Fans Of: Right Said Fred, Owl City, Britney Spears


I never really do Various Artist’s type of reviews, because it’s a bit different than doing a whole CD by one band/artists, but it’s a the Smurfs, So why not? I’d have to say I’m not a huge fan of the pop genre at all, but a few artists here and there really catch my eye, and some of the artist on this sound track did just this. I’d have to give the people who made this possible some props for picking some artists that people will enjoy, and adding some older artists that may have “died” out. All of these artists impress me to say the least. A few of the songs on this album that stand out would have to be, “Britney Spears – Ohh La La”, “Becky G ft. Austin Mahon – Magik 2.0”, “Owl City – Live It Up”, “Nelly Furtado ft. Ace Primo”,  and “Right Said Fred – I’m Too Smurfy.” I was actually surprised that Britney Spears would be on this soundtrack, I mean, with all the bad rumors and press about her going around. Not like any of that reflects her talents in her music. Britney was one of the first female pop artists that I started listening too, she hasn't really made a bad song yet, in my opinion. Even though I’ll never be a huge fan of the pop genre, Britney will always be one of the artists that I love in the genre. “Becky G ft. Austin Mahone – Magik 2.0”, if you ask me this song was only really good when Becky did her parts. There’s something about Austin that I don’t really like… it might be the fact that he reminds me of Bieber a bit, not going to say that he’s a total rip off of Justin, but they do sound a little bit the same. Austin is good at what he does, but he should try to keep improving his vocals, and maturing them a bit more. Becky G, surprisingly doesn't sound like Demi Lavoto, Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, or any other new female artist coming out. She manages to keep her own style with things, which is pretty nice, if you ask me. It shows that originality in the pop genre isn't completely dead. “Owl City – Live It Up”, this was one of the bands that I never expected on a soundtrack.. I mean, their music fits the pop genre, but it was kind of weird seeing them on this soundtrack. But, it’s well deserved in my opinion. Owl City has made a pretty good name for themselves, and it’s really neat to see them on soundtracks for movies. They definitely deserve the attention that they’ll be getting from people that buy soundtracks. “Nelly Furtado ft. Ace Primo”, oh man, Nelly… I nearly thought she stopped making music. But Nelly did manage to make me a fan again, with her voice on this song. It was rather enjoyable if you ask me, but we may have different opinions on it. Not much to say really about this song. There isn't really much about it, besides the fact that Nelly is back to making music (if she ever stopped, which I don’t know because I don’t keep up with her). “Right Said Fred – I’m Too Smurfy”, yes I’m too Smurfy, Right Said Fred allowed someone to remake I’m Too Sexy, into I’m Too Smurfy, for whatever reason. This song might actually add some humor to this soundtrack for the kids, since the Smurfs is a kids movie. I won’t lie, Right Said Fred was amazing back in his day. I've always enjoyed Right Said Fred, for some reason. Their music was rather catchy, if you think of it that way. There’s definitely something about it that makes it stand out rather nicely. The soundtrack for The Smurfs 2 is nicely done, if I do say so myself. All the songs were enjoyable. Some more than others, and some less than others. The soundtrack could have had more songs, in my opinion to make it a bit better. Hopefully The Smurfs 3 has an even better soundtrack (If there ever will be a Smurfs 3. I’m sure there will be, because the Smurfs always seem to make tons, and tons, of money. It’s a rather nice franchise, if you ask me. Those little blue men can never stay out of trouble!)
Breakdown:
Cleans: The clean vocals from all of the artists are all rather nice, if you ask me. Some of them are nicer than others, and some of the artists have more time doing their vocals than the newer ones, which is always good. It kind of shows the “youth” of the pop genre, or what they should be aiming towards sounding like. In my opinion, I see the pop genre as a big family, kind of like every other genre, each one works together to improve their sound a bit, and shows off some of their tips, and tricks with their vocal cords. I think Right Said Fred kind of out dues the youngin’s for this album. I’m pretty sure that Right Said Fred has been out since the nineteen nineties or so, maybe a little bit longer. I’m not a huge fan, nor do I really follow this band. But it’s nice to see a band come back after so long, whether they’re still making music, or not, this remix track had the same vocals, which were as impressive as they were on the original version of the song.
Instruments: The instruments kind of vary on this album; beats, guitars, bass, drums. The beats aren't really my favorite beats ever, but some of them are nicely done. The beat maker definitely deserves his props, he rightfully deserves them. The other instruments are mainly on a few songs, but the guitar player, in Right Said Fred, does a pretty good job, and even though it’s not a “new” song, it’s still rather nice to hear. It reminds me of them back in their time. I wonder if this means that they’re going to come back, and write some new tunes for us? Maybe, we’ll have to see!

Rating: 8/10