Chimaira - Crown Of Phantoms

Posted by Unknown On Sunday, July 28, 2013

Track list:
1. The Machine
2. No Mercy
3. All That's Left Is Blood
4. I Despise
5. Plastic Wonderland
6. The Transmigration
7. Crown Of Phantoms
8. Spineless
9. Kings Of The Shadow World
10. Wrapped On Violence
11. Love Soaked Death
12. New Apocalypse
13. The Dehumanizing Process (Slow & Low 2013 mix)
14. Outshined" (Soundgarden Cover)
15. Wrapped in Violence (Allinaline Mix)
16. All That's Left Is Blood (Live in Huntington, N.Y.)
17. I Despise (Demo)
18. No Mercy (Demo)

Genre: Metal
For Fans Of: DevilDriver, Lamb Of God, Fear Factory

Chimaira is one metal band that seems to never really change musically. Their sound on each album stays the same but also changes, if that makes any sense. You’ll hear something on a new album that you’ve already heard on another album. This in my opinion is pretty clever. I mean, you’re using something old, with a new sound. This is something that the old fans might love, and others may hate it. The new fans won’t really know what’s going on in their music. Chimaira was one of the first few metal bands that I got into when I was younger, and they’ve stayed a favorite of mine through all this new music coming out because of their sound. Chimaira is one band that I will recommend to everyone who enjoys metal, because in my opinion they’re a band in the genre that is worth listening to over and over again. There is no band that has the strength that Chimaira brings to the table. Some might have more, and some might have less, but Chimaira has the correct amount, which is a plus in my books for them. A few songs that stand out on this album would have to be, “The Machine”, “All That’s Left Is Blood”, “Crown Of Phantoms”, “Kings Of The Shadow World”, “Love Soaked Death”, and “New Apocalypse”. “The Machine” starts this album off like any Chimaira album; heavy and brutal. This song has some of the better instrument play in my opinion. It sounds like the guitars are put to work on this song, and it’s only the first song on the album which is pretty nice. “The Machine” pretty much made the album have a nicely done start, and brings in the brutal side of Chimaira pretty fast. This is another nice thing about the song. “All That’s Left Is Blood”, the song title along brings in some brutal points, now doesn’t it? This song had some more amazing guitar work on it, but it’s the third song, and it’s still making the album worth listening to. The vocals on this song also make the album worth another listen. “All That’s Left Is Blood”, for older fans this might show how the band is trying to keep their old roots alive, but for newer fans they wouldn’t really get why I said that. The older fans might catch on to it when they listen to the song a few times, or they might not. I just hope so, because this song reminded me of a song on their older release. “Crown Of Phantoms”, another thing about Chimaira that is enjoyable is the title tracks. The title track on almost every album, is heavier than the other songs and usually better than the other songs which is something that is enjoyable. I mean the title track should always show off more than the other songs, which is what Chimaria tends to do. This is a good thing, as I see it. This song also shows off some clean vocals (Clean vocals in metal?!) Yes, this does happen. But who doesn’t want to hear clean vocals? It kind of spices up the band’s music a bit more. “Kings Of The Shadow World”, is the song that made me think of Fear Factory, another favorite band of mine. The drumming on this song brings up a vibe from Fear Factory, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, or that Chimaira stole the idea from them, because stuff like that is stupid to fight about, or even bring up. You can’t expect a band to be one hundred percent original, that’s not how it goes… and if it was like that, people would get tired of that band quicker than they should. “Love Soaked Death”, would be the last song on the album, but thankfully we got a bonus song to end off the album review. This might make people want to buy the album a little bit more. I hope so because this album is definitely worth buying if you’re a metal head, or if you just want a new band to jam too. “Love Soaked Death”, has some of the better breakdowns (breakdowns in metal? You’re crazy!” breakdowns are in almost every type of music you listen too just done differently. There you learned something. “Love Soaked Death”, definitely did end off the album on a brutal note (for those who aren’t going to be buying it). “New Apocalypse”, is the last song on this review, and right away you can tell this song is a bonus because of how it sounds. This bonus has some of the better guitar play. I kind of wish this song would have been on the actual album, and not just a bonus, because of how good it is.
Breakdown:
Cleans: Yes, you manage to hear a small amount of cleans on this album, which isn’t a bad thing because it’s a bit new for the boys in Chimaira, or at least I’ve never heard clean vocals on anything I’ve listened to by them. This is actually the first time I’ve listened to them in a few years, which is sad because I used to jam to this band every day when I was younger. They’re definitely still worth jamming too.
Screams: The screams overtake the clean vocals for those people who hate clean vocals, for whatever reason. The screams really didn’t change much, which might be a bad thing? It might be a good thing? In my opinion, it was rather nice because it made me remember their older music and their older screams a bit.

Instruments: The instruments have improved, that I know for sure. I loved the instrument play on the older album, but this album over powered that in a heartbeat. The drummer was put to work a few times on this album, which in my opinion, is somewhat funny because drummers usually have the easy job when it comes to music, but not with Chimaira! A few times the drumming sounded like something on a Fear Factory album, which is another band I enjoyed, and I kind of liked hearing the influence (if the band meant it that way).
Rating: 9/10
Like them on facebook